Thursday 15 April 2021

Mastering the secrets of mobility

 I recently tried a flexibility class and was discouraged when I was the only participant who couldn't achieve full splits. That led to me googling a 30 day split challenge, and while I am not much more flexible than before, I noticed that my runs felt better, as I hadn't stretched regularly in more than 10 years. 


It me, 2010-2020.

Then I won free access to the Agatsu Online Gym and was determined to make the most of it. There I discovered Sara-Clare's mobility class. The first class I did was hip-focused and greatly reduced hip/lower back pain that I've had for years! I always thought my pain was from stuck SI joints, but I have discovered that it's more from tight iliopsoas.

When I first tried foam rolling, I just did the steamrolling back and forth that is conventionally taught. Later, someone introduced me to Mobility Mastery and then followed by the ideas of Kelly Starrett, where you release adhesions with the pin and stretch method.

Mobility is not yoga. It's not static stretching. It's rolling to release knots, some PNF stretching, some bodyweight strengthening and flows to tie it all together.

Working from the ground up.

As I get older, I realize now that my wonky ankle can have a chance to regain range of motion, my body needs regular maintenance to feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment