Monday 29 July 2019

If you're 555 then I'm 666

Can I just say how much I love timed races? No DNFs, no chasing cutoffs, just go at whatever pace, no stress.

magical pine forest

Although this was not my longest race, this was my longest timed event and surprisingly, my first summer ultra. It was a warm day but it wasn't so humid that I didn't think I could catch a breath.

Started off the morning cheering on Bryden and Greg in the 1K (first sub 6 minute, yeah!)

My boys.

The first loop was uneventful. Ran a lot of the second loop with Delano and started feeling a twinge in my glute, stretching didn't help much and it was affecting my gait. I rolled it out using my water bottle after the loop and it was definitely better but felt like the pain could come back at any minute. I texted Agnes to find me some drugs and stopped at a bench to do a pelvis reset. That, combined with the drugs, thankfully kept the pain away for the rest of the race.

The middle loops were pretty uneventful, hot AF during the rail trail open sections. I ran when I felt like it and just kept moving when I didn't feel like running. I reached the 6 hour mark at just over 5 loops.

Pickle juice, work your magic!

I had 9 loops in my mind as a goal and 10 as a stretch goal, but I ended up taking 3 breaks during the race and it put 10 loops out of the question but I wanted to do more than the bare minimum goal, so I thought it would be fun to run 66.6K. Agnes ran the 6th loop with me and I am proud of myself for being mentally strong enough to not go crazy without company.

🤘🤘🤘
The timing company had put me down for 72K (10 loops + 2K) but I am also proud of myself for having the integrity of emailing them to correct it, because I don't want my ultrasignup rating to be artificially inflated.

No comments:

Post a Comment