Friday 29 December 2023

2023 Year in Review - barely made it!

 


In January 2023, I wrote:

I don't plan to run 100 miles again until 2024, and will spend 2023 building mileage and working on my race day weaknesses. Mileage wise, I will stick with running 2023 miles (3256K) and anything beyond that will be bonus

 January 2023 Patty thought that running 2023 miles/3256K would be a walk in the park compared to 3650K, but she didn't count on my left piriformis being, well, a pain in the ass most of the year. This injury started mid-2022 and crept up on me like a...something scary and pounced during one awful run at the end of March, where I also tweaked a muscle in my left foot, rendering the entire left side of my body useless. On doctor's orders, I took an entire week off running and started physio. Unfortunately, I only got better up to a point and there was no more improvement, and the physio only recommended more frequent sessions, which set off alarm bells. This past month, I have started with a new physio, and while I am still having bad days, I have made noticeable improvement in only 3 sessions. I hit my 2023 mile goal on Christmas Day after reduced mileage the first half of the year.

Race wise, I ran The Flurry Not A Snowshoe Race in February, followed by the 2 months of being in massive pain/low mileage. I recovered enough to run 50K at Conquer the Canuck, then celebrated my birthday by WINNING A RACE!


In August, I ran my longest distance of the year at Tally 12 hour and recovered with hydrotherapy.



My fall race was the 50K at Allegany State Park in Salamanca, NY, but DNF'd due to getting turned around on the course, so my race season ended on a low note.

Due to my IPOS state, I will most definitely NOT be running 100 miles in January 2024 as I originally planned. I'd like to have a really solid year of training down before my brain can even think about 100 miles again. My A race for the first half of 2024 is Sulphur 100K..then we shall see.

I had a "come to Jesus" moment with drinking in October, and I have greatly cut down alcohol consumption, which feels good.

To finish, a selection of Harry's costumes, and Yours Truly as Sexy Laz.

No comments:

Post a Comment