Wednesday 14 August 2019

The Canadian Contingent

I heard about Cook Forest 25K from Coach Heather, who ran the race last year. I was looking for a race near Becky in Pittsburgh so I could stop by for a visit. We made plans to get a cabin near the race start for Friday night.

on our cabin bedroom door
The cabin was a couple kilometres from the start, and the first km was on road, but the rest was all trail. I sensed that Becky didn't believe me when I said I'd run with her, because the two road halfs we'd done in the past, I finished a good 20-30 minutes before her. But that was in the fast road days...things have changed.

Giving some serious side-eye to that dog owner.
I thought the race was going to live up to the nickname 'Rocksylvania', but only the first 5K was technical. There was a humongous climb off the first road section to the fire tower, and there were a few big climbs, but in between was very, very runnable.

The Fire Tower.
There were a lot of interesting rock formations, like this:


And this:

Love how it looks like the huge rock was propped up by the tiny stick!

Finished in what was probably a personal worst time for 25K, but I had no intention of racing this, as I had to wait for Becky to go to her house anyways. Also, she finished about a minute ahead of me.

25K-ish (27 on my watch).
 I was the only Canadian registered in the race!

Left a mark on the cabin wall:


The weather was absolutely amazing (high 23, zero humidity), which was so unexpected for August. It's crazy how much weather changes your perception of a race. If it was gross and soupy humidity, I would be writing about how miserable this race was.

Still didn't stop me from cooling my legs off afterwards in the Clarion River:

2 comments:

  1. I hope the side eye to the dog owner wasn't on purpose. He's been training for that distance all summer and the weather was perfect. We sub-4'd and loved our time on the trail.

    ReplyDelete