Sunday 13 July 2014

Fall plans 2014

I'll join everyone in the fall plans/goals post.


“You only ever grow as a human being if you’re outside your comfort zone.” - Percy Cerutty

Exploring the road less travelled..or some kind of philosophical shit.

So as a challenge (or torture device) to each other..I have agreed to do an obstacle/mud run, if Greg runs a half marathon in return.  I would have preferred to do Tough Mudder, in case this is one and done, go big or go home, right?  But there is the small problem of Greg not being fit enough to run 20K by mid-August and he objected.  The obstacles scare the crap out of me, I don't like getting full body muddy - my only similar experience is doing an outdoor boot camp for work, doing pushups in a field full of mud and goose shit..however, it was November 11th and the instructor invoked WWI soldiers toiling in the trenches for 4 years and suddenly the goose shit didn't seem so bad.  Anyways, I digress...

So what am I afraid of? I'm not sure.  Apparently Greg saw various out of shape looking overweight people doing Spartan in June, but I have never been good at climbing and scaling walls.  The only training I've been doing is kettlebells sans gloves and scaling walls at the playground.  If there are horizonal monkey bar type obstacles I'm completely fucked.

Next up is pacing gig #6 at the Oakville HM.  I've got 2:05 continuous, which is faster than my customary 2:15, but at 5:55/km, should feel like LR pace on a good day.

Last fall, we had stayed overnight in Corning, NY en route to Richmond and were disappointed that we only had about 12 hours there, not enough time to explore the quaint shops and the glass museum.  So we planned to go back to run the half but it sold out.  The 5K is still available, and my friend Heather, who runs a sub 20 5K and a running coach, offered to pace me to a sub 24 in the 5K as her post baby comeback race.

Finally, we have Road2Hope HM.  I would like to run sub 1:50 or at least PB, but I am pretty chill about things, since I punched my card to magical ATB corral land already.

Originally I had written my training plan with the customary 5 days of running, but in the next couple weeks I am going to rewrite it, replacing one day of running with biking, and more biking as a 2nd workout as time permits.



2 comments:

  1. Great that you and Greg will be doing events together, that's terrific! Looks like a fun season ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mutual torture... that's what marriage is all about, right? ;)

    But good on you for getting out of your comfort zone! I imagine you'll do great!!

    ReplyDelete